Monday, January 26, 2009

Observation

So, a lady in upper management came and observed my classroom today. I was really nervous since it was Monday and things never go right on Monday. Anyway, the kids were actually kind of good and things went smoothly (except for the girl that decided she needed to throw up all over my carpet)! The lady said that my classroom looks great, the kids seemed well behaved and she only had two concerns. She thought my block area might be too small, but I explained they use the rug adjacent to the area as well for block play and her other concern was not having tools in my science area (things like magnifying glasses, tweezers, and other such things) to help the children explore things. But, all is all she was impressed! I asked her to put in a good word for me with my supervisor and to stand up for me with all the complaints I am getting this year. I don't know why I have been getting so many complaints from parents! It is really bothering me and it also bothers me that I don't even know who it is that is complaining or even what the specific complaints are! Oh well, she said she would put in a good word for me and that she thinks things are fine. She has stopped by in my class several times and she said each time was unannounced (except once) and we have always been doing things as they should be done and the classroom has always been ready. Ok, sorry I am done with my soap box! I am just a little excited that someone is finally appreciating all the hard work my assistant and I have put into our classroom! After all the negative, this positive is such a blessing!

2 comments:

The Sadlers said...

That has got to be gratifying. As I am in school to be a teacher as well I have been taken aback with all the people who have tried to discourage me. It's nice to hear a positive story.

Miss Mandee said...

Matt, education is a very rewarding field and I think you would be great at it! There is a 6th grade teacher at the school I teach at that is so loved by all the students in the school, he reminds me of what you would be like as a teacher (of course in quite a few years since he is at retirement age now)! I won't lie to you about the issues that come with it though. Parents can be a pain and there is a lot of politics involved, but like I said, it is rewarding and watching the kids succeed is such a great feeling. Teaching in preschool I also get to have a lot of kids love me just because I am their teacher! Whenever I need a hug I have one and I get told at least once a day that I am loved (not including my hubby, he tells me that everyday too, of course)!